YM Senior Outboard

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Keith Mc

YM Senior Outboard

Post by Keith Mc »

I have now turned the Senior (Dipper) and need to finalise my thinking on internal layout. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on outboard placement and outboard size.
She is currently configured with the aft deck and locker as per the original drawings. I will probably reconfigure that similar to Bethem and only have a small (3") aft deck in order to be able to reach the outboard (hung on a transom bracket) more easily. But would I be better to do away with the rear deck altogether and hang it from a recessed transom as per Carita? Does the recess risk water ingress from a following sea?
And what outboard size? Dipper will be sailed in tidal estuaries and inland waterways. I am thinking long shaft Mariner 3.5hp 4 stroke. Again I would appreciate hearing thoughts on this.
Many thanks
Keith
Attachments
Dipper turned sm.jpg
Dipper turned sm.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 9883 times
Carita Transom sm 2.jpeg
Carita Transom sm 2.jpeg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 9883 times
Bethem

Re: YM Senior Outboard

Post by Bethem »

Hi Keith,
Bethem started with a 3.5 Mercury long shaft four stroke which for the broads was more than adequate, I played around with a 45lb thrust electric outboard and this was ok as well.
Preference for estuary would be 3.5 or 4hp long shaft four stroke.
Cutting the stern deck and creating an extra seat made the cockpit more comfortable and allowed easy access to the engine,
Reason for keeping a small deck was to allow the fitting of a main sheet horse. I still added a coaming across the back so personally would be happy using her in an estuary.
Cheers Mat
Keith Mc

Re: YM Senior Outboard

Post by Keith Mc »

Hi Mat
That is good to hear. Co-incidentally I have located a second hand 3.5hp 4 stroke Mercury long shaft and will go ahead and purchase that in order to determine the best positioning bearing in mind the tiller. The 3.5hp is certainly a good deal lighter and smaller than the 4hp although I will have to master the art of turning it around to achieve reverse before impaling too many pontoons! I will probably copy Bethem's configuration also. It looks like a good practical solution. Many thanks for the info.
All the best
Keith