Barbican 33 Centre plate

Here you can place and read information about Maurice Griffiths.

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Buzzard

Barbican 33 Centre plate

Post by Buzzard »

I have just brought a Barbican 33 that has a badly rusted centre plate, should I replace with stainless, galvanised or just do away with it?
Eventide Owners Group

Re: Barbican 33 Centre plate

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello Buzzard,

There is a case for doing away with it, but it will make turning in marinas and the like more difficult if you have not got the plate there to pivot around.

Some owners have neatly got round this by installing a small bow thruster, then marinas etc a doddle.

The later commercial builder did away with it, they sail well enough without it.

Reminded of the owner who was convinced his plate assisted him to sail well to windward, until he took the boat ashore and found out the plate was welded solid with crud and had never dropped in years, when he unwound it.!! He sealed his slot up and added a few pounds of encapsulated ballast!

If you do decide to keep it, do not mix metals. Keep to galvanised...

One misguided owner put so many different metals inside I bet you could have run the nav lights off the current! He wrote to PBO for advice then went against the advice of the experts. Later had an article published detailing what he had done. Not wise He put his boat up for sale 2 or 3 years back, needless to say it is still unsold. Whoever buys it has a load of work to do putting it right.

hope this prompts a discussion

Regards,
John
Fiddlers Green
Web site Coordinator
Buzzard

Post by Buzzard »

Thanks John,
very useful indeed! Its interesting the surveyor suggested replacing it with stainless steel. the bolt holding it in was stainless, but the plate is the only thing thats corroded.

Pete.
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Sounds as if the surveyor has the right idea, keep all the metals the same!

Regards,
john
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'