Tarka

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Tarka

Tarka

Post by Tarka »

Hello fellow EOG' ers
I am a new recruit to the ranks with the recent purchase of Tarka a 24ft built around 1986 on the Welsh/English border by a very skilful gentleman in my opinion whom sadly is no longer with us. Ron Pangborne (not sure of the spelling) built her in his garden then sailed or motored along rivers and canals into the severn estuary. Her second owner Phil Cooper sadly not with us either, was at one time the Commodore of Barry yacht club and it is thanks to his widow Sue and and her owner after Phil, Louis that I have some lovely photos and the qualitative history as well.
She ended up in Wells next the sea as stated in the for sale section. Sadly her last owner succumbed to poor health and she has sat for sometime on the hard, but has suffered considerable rainwater damage to the topsides/transom and some minor damage to one small area of the gunnel near the transom. She has had quite a bit of fibreglass applied to the deck at some point which seems to have trapped the moisture in rather than keep it out.
Tarka is Double Diagonal Iroko on oak frames has a Volvo penta md7a and is I believe built to the earlier design. No former owner has mentioned lack of stability though so perhaps she had added ballast? Tarka was built with a bowsprit twin foresails and a mainsail and the mast fitted at present is wooden (how heavy I wonder).
I am documenting the refurb with plenty of pictures but I am not in any way shape or form a craftsman of the calibre many of you are or anywhere near as skilled as as Ron must have been to build such a beautiful boat. I am determined to leave her in better shape for any future owners if she can be saved which I am sure she can at the moment. So any help from members will be appreciated especially any that can help keep costs down but will not cause any more dry rot in the future.
So far I have been concentrating on opening her up as often as possible to let the fresh east coast air in cleaning out the bilge and stripping away the rear deck and some of the worst side deck again to allow air flow to dry out the frames which are mostly okay. With regard to the rear deck I am wondering if I can open this area up a little more if I convert to a transom hung rudder as the enclosed rear deck seems a 'dry-rot' heaven and a large space wasted (any thoughts EOG) would it mean too much seawater getting in for the bilge to cope with? It would also allow easier access to an outboard for emergency power.
thanks for any future help
Tarka.
Bethem

Re: Tarka

Post by Bethem »

Hi Tara,
Good to see you are saving this Eventide, I did contemplate looking at her some time ago as, living in Norfolk, it’s about 45 mins drive to Wells, even sent an email to the owner but no reply.
My advice would be to carry on airing the boat, remove all the bunk tops and locker lids etc and get as much air flow as you can through the boat. Try and keep out any freshwater as this what causes the most damage.
I work in a boatyard on the Broads and if you need any advice please feel free to ask,
All the best
Mat
Tarka

Post by Tarka »

Hi Mat,

Nice to hear from another Norfolk Eventider
I have been trying to get as much air in as possible, removing anything that can harbour dampness cushions etc. With the lockdown it is going to be even more difficult, I purchased a decent Tarp to cover Tarka with but as I am now not able to go down to the yard with a few stronger younger deckhands to help lower the mast it is not easy to cover her up so she will have to brave the elements a bit longer sadly. All the deck will need replacing sooner or later which I feel I can manage. The transom is the tricky part my carpentry is not 'bad' but it is knowing how to do specific jobs that will cause me issues, and finding decent timber at a reasonable price (the holy grail maybe) ... Shame she wasn't aluminium I used to build aluminium tanks for a living a few years ago always reckoned I could have got enough ally from the scrap bin to build a boat myself then but did not have the time or energy while bringing up a family.
Are you still looking for an Eventide? I have seen one advertised near Norwich looks reasonable as well.
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Hi Tarka,
I know of the Eventide Merida which is around four miles away from where I live. Unfortunately I have a thirty foot Broads yacht I’m currently restoring and recently finished a Senior which is now back home being tweaked!
If you let me know your timber requirements I’ll ask around!
Cheers
Mat
Tarka

Post by Tarka »

Yes it is Merida I did consider looking at her myself if Tarka turns out to be beyond repair. Sadly it is still hanging in the balance although I am optimistic. The Transom has been a bit of a shock as outwardly it is solid but inside it has several very soft spots, all around fixing points, outboard bracket, bracket for backstay exhaust outlet, and I am hoping the same scenario will not occur to often in other areas of the hull which outwardly seems solid. You have your hands full by the sound of it I love the broads yachts and some of the cruisers.
Thanks for the offer of keeping an eye out for wood I will let you know as I progress what I will need. And for the book recommendation.
atb Tarka.