Calling all Senior owners, builders and dreamers!

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Bethem

Calling all Senior owners, builders and dreamers!

Post by Bethem »

Hi, I’m Mat Gravener your YM Senior rep.
I have just finished the season using my newly built Senior and have had some great sailing on the Norfolk Broads.
There is a section on the restorers and builders page and a six page article has been published in the November/December issue of Watercraft Magazine.
I purchased a hull which had sat in a chaps garage for fifteen years and using the plans built the centre plate version, all went together well and she was a lovely project.
I kept a photographic and materials used records so anyone who wants any information regarding this super design trailer sailer please get in touch.
Regards
Mat
Keith Mc

Re: Calling all Senior owners, builders and dreamers!

Post by Keith Mc »

Hi Mat
Many thanks for starting this thread. And thank you for the excellent article in Watercraft!
I am in the process of building a Senior (I 'bit the bullet' and epoxied the hull together yesterday). Thinking ahead I was particularly interested in your approach to setting the gunter rig and how to reef effectively. I would very much appreciate the associated measurements. ie length of your spars if not standard from the drawings, the positioning of the fittings on them and the height of your 2 reefs from the mainsail tack.
Oh, and what make are the fittings?
Sorry for all the questions!
Keith
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Hi Keith,
Thank you for your comments regarding the Watercraft magazine article.
The complete Gunter rig came off a Senior which was being broken up, and all the spars are as per the plans. The only slight discrepancy I could see is the position of the pulley on the gaff, mine is positioned 58 inches from the throat end.
Starting with the mast, a sail track is fitted about a foot above the base and stops just shy of the halyard pulley at the top.
On the gaff throat is fitted a dinghy style gooseneck which suits the mast track. Further along is a strap round the gaff with a pulley.
A stainless sail slide goes in the mast track first and the halyard is made fast to this, then the gaff is slid on, halyard goes though gaff pulley then up to mast sheave.
The sail, although fitted with ten eyelets along the luff I only fitted sail slides in five of these to cut down friction.
In practice as you haul on halyard the gaff throat stays down as the rest of the gaff rises and lays parallel to the mast, then it all goes up.
I will measure the two reef positions and sort out photos of the various parts this weekend.
There are no makers name on the parts which is a nuisance as I would like to find another gooseneck as mine works but looks quite worn.
Cheers Mat
Keith Mc

Post by Keith Mc »

Hi Mat
Many thanks for the information and for that which is yet to come. It is much appreciated.
Keith
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Hi Keith,
Two rows of reef points, first row 24 inches above boom, second set 24 inches above first set.
Halyard pulley on gaff 57.5 inches from throat.
Photos to follow.
Your Senior is looking good, please keep us updated on progress.
Cheers Mat
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Halyard slider, gaff pulley
Halyard slide
Halyard slide
41C5612E-AED9-4CA9-BAD1-7FA17DA221FE.jpeg (175.3 KiB) Viewed 38670 times
Gaff pulley
Gaff pulley
366386B7-162C-41FB-83AD-AC90C3DDCB08.jpeg (237.86 KiB) Viewed 38670 times
Keith Mc

Post by Keith Mc »

Many thanks Mat
All copied to my files for use when I make my spars.
I am making steady progress with my build and have now epoxied the hull panels. Once filled and faired I will sheath the hull rather than taping the seams.
All the best
Keith
Attachments
Senior Hull Epoxied 4.jpg
Senior Hull Epoxied 4.jpg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 38650 times
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Looking good Keith, if there is anything else you need please let me know.
Cheers Mat
Keith Mc

Post by Keith Mc »

Hi Mat
Although I am building a centre board version of the Senior I am planning to get a couple of small steel bilge keels made up so that she can comfortably take the ground when needed. The boats keel would still take the weight of the boat and the bilge keels would support her laterally at such times. Each one should weigh circa 15kg and so they will provide a little more stability to the boat as well. The only down side I have thought of is that they will move the centre of effort aft fractionally, but from what I read that shouldn't pose too much of an issue.
Can you or any other Senior owners think of any problems with such an approach (I have reinforced inside the hull and each would be bolted through one of the floors also). The pics show the plywood mock up that will go to the steel fabricator.
All the best
Keith
Attachments
Bilge keel 2 sm.jpg
Bilge keel 2 sm.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 37977 times
Bilge keel sm.jpg
Bilge keel sm.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 37977 times
Keith Mc

Post by Keith Mc »

7 coats of Coppercoat applied. Brilliant antifoul, but in this context, super tough epoxy / copper finish for the rigours of a beachable trailer sailer.
Attachments
Coppercoat 1 sm.jpg
Coppercoat 1 sm.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 37448 times
chris s

Post by chris s »

Here are a couple of photos of the keel I built on my Senior

http://www.eventides.org.uk/images/boat0012.JPG

http://www.eventides.org.uk/images/Chri ... 20keel.JPG

both pictures taken from here

http://www.eventides.org.uk/senpic.htm
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Hi Keith

I think the shallow bilge runners are a good idea, I’d thought about doing something similar on Bethem. Another idea was the addition of a skeg, although this would move the ce further aft as well.

What I noticed when using the outboard was the boat did not track well if the centreplate is raised so the additional keels would keep her going in a straight line.

The other advantage is you are protecting the hull when drying out and the extra ballast will help.

Bethem sits on a simple trailer with keel and side rollers and is easy to get on and off for launching so I don’t know if the additional keels would complicate this.

I’m presently playing with a 45lbs thrust electric outboard linked to two 12v gel batteries which are fitted either side of the centreplate casing, each weigh 50lbs, so with the centreplate gives 180lbs of ballast. A solar panel is fitted to the foredeck, which despite the size does not cause any issues when walking on the deck.

Btw your hull looks superb!

Cheers Mat
Bethem

Post by Bethem »

Hi Cris,

How did your Senior sail with the centre keel? Looks like a good set up for sailing on the Norfolk Broads!

Cheers Mat
Keith Mc

Post by Keith Mc »

Thanks Mat
Coincidentally I have confirmed the order for small bilge keels from a local metal worker today. They will be done by the end of January. It wont stop progress.

I agree re the trailer but I am hoping that if I am canny about its design they might actually help me to ensure she sits central to the centreline rollers on recovery. We shall see. If anyone has an old trailer looking for a new home please let me know!

Thanks re your comment concerning the hull. I was really pleased until I applied the Hempel Light Primer today. It appears that I have pin prick holes all over it! Most frustrating.
Attachments
Topside pin pricks sm.jpg
Topside pin pricks sm.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 37190 times
Keith Mc

Post by Keith Mc »

I am hoping further coats of Light Primer might do the trick but fear that I might have to fill them all. They are all over. Grrrrr. I used west 407 filler for filling the weave. Quite 'wet'. I had not used it before. Think I will revert to glass bubbles should I ever do another similar build.

Your setup for the electric outboard sounds good and a handy placement of weighty batteries. I have a 2.3hp Honda 4 stroke from a tender that I will try out on mine. I am not sure if the (short) shaft will be long enough or whether or not it will be powerful enough for tidal waters. I don't intend to sail her in the Bristol channel thankfully. But I would like to bring her across to the east coast.