boatbuilding articles

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

steve

boatbuilding articles

Post by steve »

What is the general level of boatbuilding/maintenance knowledge amongst the membership?
How many would like to read articles about the construction and maintenance of boats? or even links to such articles on other websites.

This might encourage more people to build boats.
Athaena

Re: boatbuilding articles

Post by Athaena »

I'm really interested in seeing threads of work other members are doing on their boats, I find it really helpful to talk things through with others and hopefully it proves useful for others in the future. Like my thread on Athaena. There's a lot of this sort of information on the main website too.

I wouldn't be so keen on links to articles or copies of content from elsewhere here, to my mind that's what google is for :D But that's just my opinion. :D

I'd really like this forum to grow so anything that helps that is great :mrgreen:

Chris
steve

Post by steve »

I've already noticed an old post giving a website about knots which looks quite good.

Your thread on atheana is very interesting and just the sort of thing I would like to see more of, as well as more general boatbuilding articles.

I have noticed a few references to rules and regulations putting people off building their own boat, I would be interested in learning more about these Regs, as I should be aware of them if I do build my own boat.
Last edited by steve on Mon June 18th, 2012, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

steve wrote:Your thread on atheana is very interesting and just the sort of thing I would like to see more of
Thanks, I always worry I'm being a little self-indulgent, but I know I find it helpful when I see similar show and tell threads.

For example, I've spent most of my free time over the last week working out how to rout out a snug fitting patch with a chamfered edge. So I've shared the solution here!

Chris
seanprawn

Post by seanprawn »

Hiya, i am a new eventide owner. I have just taken over ownership of 'Maria', located at Rye harbour in east sussex.
She is in need of repair work around the topside, and has damage where water has leaked in and rotted the ply all around the housing area. At first i thought i might be able to remove rotten ply from the inside and then give her another coat of fibreglass to strenghen the outside of the housing. The timbers are still solid, but now i feel it sensible to completely strip off all the fibreglass and ply, and start again on topside cabin design. ( as she had no walkway up for'ard to get to the bow). The hull is in good condition as is the fore deck. She is equipped with all rigging and sails are ok. The petrol engine has been removed , so i am considering just making do with a reasonable sized outboard. If anyone has any advice for me i would be very grateful.
Sean
Billaboard

Post by Billaboard »

Sean, These are just comments based on my experiences with a Wild Duck. It's only 19', but I'd never now consider an outboard for anything except emergency. We are on our third diesel engine, all bought second hand and each one more powerful and more sophisticated. With each change, it has just been a case of careful measurement and then building new engine bearers. Where we are there are a couple of boats with sterndrives and they seem to have a lot of trouble with damage and maintenance.

When you say fibreglass, I assume you mean some sort of epoxy based system. Epoxy and epoxy paints, where it's strength needed rather than decoration, have been marvellous here.

Finally, the Wild Duck has no walkway forward, and I really much prefer that arrangement to the other boats with complicated narrow side decks festooned with fittings.

Do take this as just chat rather than advice, though.
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum. I'd recommend taking lots of photos and starting a thread in the "Help" section of the forum. That way you can show others what you find and get advice on how best to proceed. As a newcomer to wooden boats I've found the advice I've received online really valuable. Get enough opinions and you soon start to separate the wheat from the chaff.

From what you've said stripping everything off sounds like a much better plan. I suspect, if it's old, your fibreglass will be bonded with polyester resin which is not ideal by today's standards. You must have a good bond between any fibreglass and the wood, this is best achieved with epoxy resins which soak into the wood. It would be impossible to do achieve this replacing the wood from the inside. Better to take some measurements and then as carefully as you can dismantle what's there and replace it. Once you have a new housing constructed you can then apply epoxy resin and glass cloth to the outside.

My experience has been that it's quite a scary learning curve to start with, but once you get going it's very rewarding getting things fixed. Looking forward to helping where I can :D

Chris