Is there an easyway to find the waterline

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

JoJo

Is there an easyway to find the waterline

Post by JoJo »

Hi
I have been slowly doing repairs and refit to my fibreglass Waterwitch.
I took 6 weeks off work to do the job. And that was 18 months ago. The job kept getting bigger and the available time smaller.

One of my problems was that there was a lot of rot in the decks. So I had to cut out big sections of the deck and replace the ply and re glass. Not so bad but what I didn’t realize at the time was that the fairing ( Polyester Bog) was coming unstuck all over the boat. Eventually I had to removed every bit of Bog back to bare glass all over and have since re faired (this time with Bog made from Epoxy Resin).

Now I am the stage of getting ready to paint the boat and was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding the waterline. I have read that you can use a hose full of water as a level. I have also seen Laser Levels at hardware stores. I think both of these assume that you have some reference point to start with and that the Boat is level.
The only reference that I have now is the rudder - looking at old photos I think I can guess where the water level was on the rudder so if I use this as a starting point I should be able to take this level all the way to the front of the boat using clear plastic hose full of water as a level ?
I am a little worried that the boat may not be 100% on the level. It looks level but when it rains water does not run out of the self draining cockpit.

Any ideas - have you used any of these methods, or some other way to mark the water line.

Tim
(Waterwitch JoJo)
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hi Tim,
This is such a common problem. Photographic records are sometimes all we have, however in the past I have used measurements, i.e tip of transom just touching water, ( well it used to!), then 5" up from chine amidships and so many inches down the stem from a fitting, bobstay in my case.

When I first launched years ago I got mine very wrong, by nearly 9" at the bow! Best way to figure it out is to float it! mark it, dry it out and then paint it!

the boats do not float with the keel level. mine is 2" deeper aft at least...

This year I have yet again adjusted my WL. Only by half an inch in a couple of places, but at the end of last season I could see clearly the marks on the antifouling, and see how wavy the line was above that! And I normally pride myself in a straight bit of masking up... Maybe a laser level is the solution!

another thing, why do we keep having to raise the WL?

Cheers
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
chris s

Post by chris s »

Fiddler's Green wrote:Hi Tim,
This is such a common problem.

This year I have yet again adjusted my WL. Only by half an inch in a couple of places,

Cheers
John

Cos boats put on weight as they get older just as people do, :D

its a shame though that as boats get older they dont grow any bigger as people do! :roll:
Wooden Boat Fittings

Post by Wooden Boat Fittings »

yank00

Waterline readjustments

Post by yank00 »

When I first launched years ago I got mine very wrong,
by nearly 9" at the bow! Best way to figure it out is to float it! mark it, dry it out and then paint it!

the boats do not float with the keel level. mine is 2" deeper aft at least...

This year I have yet again adjusted my WL. Only by half an inch in a couple of places, but at the end of last season I could see clearly the marks on the antifouling, and see how wavy the line was above that! And I normally pride myself in a straight bit of masking up... Maybe a laser level is the solution!

Cheers
John
Maybe the crooked line might have something to do with stopping at the pub before masking and the raising might have something to do with getting old and lazy (maybe a little personal weight or more conviences added to Fiddlers Green)

Just kidding, I think, then again I suffer from the same problems.

Cheers, and good Eventiding or what ever anyone is sailing. See you soon, I hope.

Michael
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

hi Mike, glad to see you on the forum!

Went out dfor a sail at the weekend and I think i might have got tyhe WL right at last... then i remembered the crate of beer in my shed.... another half inch up next year then!

He He.

John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'