weather helm

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

bill bradley

weather helm

Post by bill bradley »

I sailed my steel Eventide 26 last week for the first time, I suffered back problems that put me on the deck for 24 hours, the weather helm is the worst I've ever known.
She has a 2 foot sprit, but my chum moved the forestay back to the stem to be 'safe'. Should a 2 foot sprit sort this out? Or should it be 4 foot? Bill
Eventide Owners Group

Re: weather helm

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello Bill, If you go to the website, 'Owners hints and tips' page there is a load on there about weatherhelm!

Yes a 4 ft bowsprit would be a lot better, but also check mast has no aft rake, that makes a lot of differnce!

Give me a call on 10621 778859 if you want me to cast an eye over her at Maldon,

Regard,
John
Web site Coordinator
helenrose

Post by helenrose »

Hi john, i have read your piece on weather helm,im a bit confused, is it good to have a straight up and down no rake mast? i have a slight rake back on Rose and she does have slight WH which gets worse upto about a force 4 then i reef, i have a 4ft bowsprit which helps.should i get rid of the rake, she goes very well otherwise.
Chris.
Eventide Owners Group

Hi Chris,

yes get rid of the rake, there was far too much on the early designs. The later, post 73 drawings had it reduced, but we took it out altogether in the 1990's as a result of our experiments.

Did not realise my article was confusing, will have to have another look at it, it was written a long time ago!

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
helenrose

Post by helenrose »

John, i had set my rig at the start of this season as per your article with a max 3inch rake which i think i have achieved, i think i will leave that rake in the mast as she sails very well indeed,she does heel quite a bit though and i need to reef in a force 4 which is a bit of a pain as she just getting going but the pull on the tiller slows me down a bit, more ballast perhaps?
Chris.
Eventide Owners Group

Hi Chris,

Yes more ballast sounds the answer. You could also remove the 3" of rake, it does not need it. If she is balanced in a F£, with ful sail and you can steer with just one finger it is right. Must always have that little bit of weatherhelm so if let go she will slowly round up, even in light airs.

On my first Eventide I added 300lb of lead inside, that made a difference... Made even more when I later dropped the keel and added the weight in a steel box, ful of cast iron sash window weights set in concrete! With lengths of broom handle in the places where the bolts were to later go, the lot was sealed in epoxy and slid on top of the cast iron keel, sealed with sikaflex sealant. That was over 25 years ago and it is still there...

The early Eventide 26 keel was 1200lb, the later, after 1973 drawings , 1660lb. we say that is a minimum... My own Eventide has 2240lb, or one ton, but she has stretched slightly to 27' 3" in the building..... Sails well though, and amazingly, my deck is the same height off the water as an early, lightly ballasted boat. The extra 5" she has gone down in the water, offset by 5" extra in the hull. Not till you step aboard do you realise the extra space inside, 5' 9" headroom!

The ballast keel was deepened on the latest Steel Eventide 26 drawings to match, so my ballast and deadwood is 15" deep at the deepest part of the hull. bilge keels increased a few inches to match. Makes them sail quite well.

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
helenrose

Post by helenrose »

Hi john,
I think i will try the extra ballast inboard first then if she sails better play around with the keels when she comes out for the winter.
regards
chris.