Sir Frederick Browning - rare MG design?

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Kismet

Sir Frederick Browning - rare MG design?

Post by Kismet »

I have recently acquired in Brisbane (Australia) a 38' sailboat, Kismet, designed by Maurice Griffiths. I have discovered that Kismet was built on a family farm in Gippsland, Victoria by Harold Rash in the late 50's early 60's. Apparently Mr Rash had contacted Griffiths regarding a boat, the Jeanne D'Arc, that Griffiths had designed for Sir Frederick Browning. Griffiths contacted Sir Frederick and it was agreed that another would be built.
Kismet is in very good order, with only a few items needing attention. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to locate the Jeanne D'Arc to ensure that I remain true to the original. It would seem that Sir Frederick was a significant character (a war hero), and wonder if the whereabouts or fate his beloved Jeanne D'Arc is known. He was to have come to Victoria to see her sister ship launched, but died shortly before she was completed. I have been able to contact Mr Rash's children and piece together most of Kismet's history including a few photos of construction. Unfortunately none of the correspondence between Rash and Griffiths seems to have survived here in Australia. Does anyone know what happened to Griffiths' correspondence and original designs after he died?
Any information gratefully received.

Attachments
Queensland Australia 2009
Queensland Australia 2009
Kismet At the Corner (1 of 1).jpg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 39177 times
Victoria Australia around 1966
Victoria Australia around 1966
Kismet construction001.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 39177 times
Eventide Owners Group

Re: Sir Frederick Browning - rare MG design?

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello Simon and Welcome to the Forum.

What a splendid ship you have there! I have recieved your mail in as well and will posting that in the new newsletter, to see if we get a response. sady the only reference I know to 'Jeanne d'Arc' is in Maurices writings. I will try and find the references.

I am pleased you have not only got straight in to register and post, but have cracked the system and got pictures up. We only switched the new version of the forum on this month and all is a bit new to us as yet, still used to the old version....

Hopefully others will follow your example!

Regasrds,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator
Eventide Owners Group

Further to my last message, I leant forward and picked up one of MG's books that I am fortunate to have, and lo, not only is there a double page on 'Jeanne D'Arc' but the next four pages are on 'Kismet'!

The book is '60 years a Yacht Designer' by Maurice Griffiths, ISBN number 0-85177-471-7

This was published in 1988 by Conway Maritime Press.

There may well be copies about still, try the internet used book stores.

hope this helps.

I will keep looking, as I am sure I have seen other refences to both boats.

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks for this John, I'll see if I can find a copy. Kismet was named "Nurunderi" when launched. I think she was renamed "Kismet III" in the early '80's.

Regards
Simon
chris s

Post by chris s »

Eventide Owners Group

Hi Simon,

Try these links as the £48.00 seems excessive, normally sell for £15.00!

www.amazon.com, also from www.amazon.co.uk. You could try www.abebooks.co.uk too.

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator
chris s

Post by chris s »

to follow your links
amazon.com list 6 copies New (1 from $78.95) Used (5 from $40.00)
amazon.co.uk list 8 copies New (2 from £100.26) Used (6 from £24.00)

and Abe books list just these 2 copies

Sixty Years a Yacht Designer (ISBN: 0851774717 / 0-85177-471-7)
Griffiths,Maurice
Bookseller: Richard Thornton Books PBFA
(London, GL, United Kingdom)
Bookseller Rating:
Price: £ 24.00
Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom: £ 3.29
Book Description: Conway Maritime Press, London, 1988. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. First Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. This is a Fine Copy of this book in blue cloth with gilt title lettering to spine,in a Very Good Dust-Jacket which has just a little light rubbing to the head of spine.Not price clipped and this copy has NO previous ownership inscriptions present.The book has a firm binding with no hinge weakness and there is no leaning ro rolling to spine.Illustrated throughout in black and white,4to 122pp First Edition 1st Impression. Bookseller Inventory # 44248

2. Sixty Years a Yacht Designer (ISBN: 0851774717 / 0-85177-471-7)
Griffiths, Maurice
Bookseller: Kenworthy Books
(Derby, DBY, United Kingdom)
Price: £ 45.00
Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom: £ 3.35
Book Description: Book Condition: Used: Very Good. Lightly read copy with slight creasing to cover / rubbing to edges / corners from storage. Unclipped dustjacket is in excellent condition. Binding tight - clean and uninscribed copy of this scarce title. Bookseller Inventory # e431090516030a
Eventide Owners Group

Wow, I had better up my insurance, I have copies of just about every book he wrote, bar one, and almost all are first editions and signed.. Including 2 rare ones that he personalised for his mother in 1939 and all the rest of the book, almost, were pulped for the war effort.

Heaven knows how much they might fetch!

Hope you got a bargain.

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator
chris s

Post by chris s »

I just bought this one for myself :D £ 29.00 inc post to Holland

Sixty Years a Yacht Designer (ISBN: 0851774717 / 0-85177-471-7)
Griffiths,Maurice
Bookseller: Richard Thornton Books PBFA
(London, GL, United Kingdom)
Bookseller Rating:
Price: £ 24.00
Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom: £ 3.29
Book Description: Conway Maritime Press, London, 1988. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. First Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. This is a Fine Copy of this book in blue cloth with gilt title lettering to spine,in a Very Good Dust-Jacket which has just a little light rubbing to the head of spine.Not price clipped and this copy has NO previous ownership inscriptions present.The book has a firm binding with no hinge weakness and there is no leaning ro rolling to spine.Illustrated throughout in black and white,4to 122pp First Edition 1st Impression. Bookseller Inventory # 44248
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

It seems that I have caused a rush on this book. I ordered the above book as well - the second order to now be cancelled :( . I've just ordered the last one I can find at AUD$130! Hope I don't miss this one too.
chris s

Post by chris s »

Sorry if I jumped on board, but with you being in Australia I thought that possibly one of the amazon.com (US)
(amazon.com list 6 copies New (1 from $78.95) Used (5 from $40.00))
would have been just as good for you? :oops:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

No worries Chris - I've got one on the way! Is there much detail on Kismet in the book? Any photos or plans?
chris s

Post by chris s »

I truthfully have no idea untill I receive the book for myself :wink:
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hope by now you have the book and have found the pages on Kismet and her sister ship.

I will get round to adding all the great pics, but been a bit busy here at the moment!

Good sailing,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks John - yes, I have the book now. Some of the information on Kismet is slightly diferent to what I know of her - I think MG may have confused some of the facts. She was definitely built on a farm in Victoria, not Western Australia. Nonetheless, interesting to find out how the design came about. I see now that Jeanne D'Arc is not her sister ship at all!

Received the burgee thanks.

Regards
Simon