YM E16 Shiralee

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

lesleypaters0n

YM E16 Shiralee

Post by lesleypaters0n »

Hello!
I'm not sure if this is right place to post this! I'd like to find out what happened to my Dad's old boat. She had sail number E16 and was called Shiralee (it means my burden and the building of it had been a bit of a burden!) He built her in the garden during the 60s, moving from Kent to Surrey in the middle of the build - she went in the back of a large lorry! He launched her in 1970 at Chichester Yacht Basin (as it was then called), moving her to Ridge Wharfe at Wareham a few years later. He was forced to sell her in the early 80s (1981 or 1982) when the house went on the market and Mum insisted that having a boat parked in front of the door wouldn't encourage any prospective viewings! From memory she was bought by a man who planned to moor her on the Thames at or near Reading. My brother still has the original plans and of course there are photos and cine footage of the launch but I just wonder what happened to her.
Regards, Lesley
Eventide Owners Group

E 16

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello there,
have you any old pics you can send? If you have we can post them on the Gallery and maybe trace her, she is certainly one of the earliest, 1957 drawings I suspect..

I wonder if dad was in contact with YM and the later assoc, if so he may well have updated the keel etc..

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
lesleypaters0n

Post by lesleypaters0n »

Hi!
Yes there are photos in various stages of construction and afloat. I'll get some from Mum and send them. Dad made a few alterations - the five of us spent two weeks sleeping onboard during the summer holidays (I don't think that was in the original design!) but I'll get my brother to list the more technical changes for me!
Regards,
Lesley
chris s

Post by chris s »

lesleypaters0n wrote:Hi!
the five of us spent two weeks sleeping onboard during the summer holidays (I don't think that was in the original design!)
Regards,
Lesley
It probably was if you ever read Enid Bylton as a child. :lol: