Wild Duck Dug Up

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

gribble

Wild Duck Dug Up

Post by gribble »

Hello All.

I have just, almost literally, dug a "Wild Duck Class" out of a field in Devon (needed 5 men and a winch) and brought her back to Hampshire to try to restore her.

Her name is "Pochard" and she was built in 1960. Hull is sound, mast is split (but repairable), nice teak (I think) decks, 2 sets of sails + storm gib and I paid the grand total of £300 to move her plus £150 to the farmer who wanted her moved or he was going to burn her.

She needs a complete re-rig and a lot of sanding and painting but, with a bit of luck, I might have her on the water in the course of the next month.

Can anyone tell me how many of these are left, any history about James Cowlin and Sons (the boatbuilder) or anything else that might possibly be of interest.

I note that a good looking Wild Duck is for sale at £995 so I am probably not going to make a fortune if I chose to sell her but, just to give me a little heart before I plough lots of money in, are these boats worth restoring?

She has had a "cut out" put in the cockpit to incorporate an outboard engine ( I got a free 4HP 4 stroke Mariner with her but dont know if that is man enough).

In short, any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have some paperwork with her and the last association eith EOA seems to be between 1991 and 1993 where I have copies of letters from John Williams and Geoffrey Hyde Fynn.
Also, a nice letter to the new owner, "Mark", from John Ashill?, Ashwell?, in Highcliffe, Dorset dated 1992.
Billaboard

Post by Billaboard »

We have a Wild Duck in North Wales, and yes, one of these is definitely worth restoring.

We built between 1981 and 1985, and are now on the third inboard engine. The current Vetus 2 cyl is just about right at about 10 hp (from memory). We first had an air-cooled 1-cyl Petter, then a 2-cyl water cooled Petter, then this. I don't think I'd like an outboard in the cockpit - it's a bit crowded already.

If you think I can help, I'll try. I dip in here only occasionally, unfortunately, but will answer any messages eventually. :roll:
Eventide Owners Group

Pochard.

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Pochard features in a few of the old eoa magazines, she was owned by John Ashley for many years and sailed on the Essex coast. she was run ashore in Fog once, hit a breakwater off clacton! Was salvaged by john and sailed on the next day! He was a character!

I know john moved down to Dorset, some time before 1990, and that was about the last I heard of her till now. Sadly I have no sail number for her...

If you need the drawings, we have tham available on CD now for a £5.00 donation, including post!

Regards,
John Williams
Web site Coordinator
gribble

wild duck

Post by gribble »

Hi,
Thank you for your information, Pochard lived for a while in Fowey when the previous owner lived on her (bit small I would have thought) and then was left in a field where I rescued her before she was burnt by the farmer. Restoration proceeding slowly, will post pictures and hope to sail her next year.
Will forward money for plans
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

How's the restoration going!

I have just be sent pictures of Pochard being built! i will try to scan them onto the WD page.

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
Eventide Owners Group

WD Pochard.

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

I have managed at last to find time to scan and upload the pic I promised. Shows her almost resdy to launch, for the first time!

send us an update on your progress for the pages....

Best of luck
John
Web site Coordinator