What a question to ask an owner!

THIS WAY TO MAKE AND READ COMMENTS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL DESIGNS

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

kw.nz

What a question to ask an owner!

Post by kw.nz »

I am planning a trip round the UK, mostly single-handed.

I think an MG design is the way to go - partly the romance of his writing, partly the general features of his designs: cruising, not racing; shallow draft; easily handled; wooden (generally)...

Here's a question, tho: WHICH design to go for? I think I would prefer three keels over a centreboard (simplicity), and definitely want both shallow draft and self-righting ability; a cockpit which is or could be made self-draining: lowish maintenance (ie, prob ply): a good comfortable interior..

Now some nice to haves: heads by the companionway or at least a place to store wet weather gear; a heater and/or hot water; two headsails (no need for furlers etc.)...

All within a budget of say 6 to 10,000 pounds in good ready-for-sea condition.

So - does the bigger Waterwitch sail better than an Eventide? With all the experience which has now been gained in his boats, can all be made to sail nicely or do some still gripe to windward??

Wd it make sense to buy one of the carvel designs and accept the maintenance work thereof?

How can I find out whether any particular boat for sale has, say, the heavier keel or better keel shapes etc which were steadily introduced?

Are there known structural weaknesses or tendencies to rot etc in various models?

One more thing - I am used to electric anchor windlasses - -are manual ones effective and quick enough? (I am late fifities and have had a couple of hernia ops already!!)

Hope there is plenty here to provoke discussion!

Regards to all, Keith Williams
Eventide Owners Group

Sailing qualities?

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello Keith,

there is litle doubt the Eventide, if properly rigged and fitted latest keel etc, will out sail a WW. But the WW will be a lot more comfortable!

Neither will be a greyhound to windward, but then gentlemen never go that way! Given a decent breeze they will both show most GRP Family cruisers the way on a broad reach!

If you get a WW where the hull has been raised the extra 6" that was suggested on the later plans, you will have headroom too.

As for winches, Electric sounds great, but my vertical capstan winch works well and saves my back! Fast retrieve too!

Having taken my Eventide to the West country and to Holland, I would always hanker for a few extra feet! But if on your own the E 26 would be handier.

Lots to consider, good powerful motor, at least 15hp and sensible rig that can be worked from the cockpit. Deeper main ballast and bilge keels for efficiency, or go to fin keel!

Boats where they started to build after about 1973 are likely to have the heavier keel, but it will still pay to get the tape out! 10" deep iron ballast for top weight!

As for material, all timber craft will need some mainentance, but my epoxy ply composite, is as near to GRP as you can get, I paint every 6 or 7 years, just polish in between. Coachroof and deck were last painted in 1988! 18 years now! 2 pot poly paint!

But what about Steel? There are some decent ones, and some that look a little odd! With care it can produce a fair line. The hundreds of 'Kesteloo' built Eventides from Holland will tell you that.

Both designs are self righting, and I know mine is! And both would draw less than a Metre. My deepened keel Eventide, 4" extra, draws 1 m.

I would go for roller reefing genoa every time. My staysail is on a boom, but that is an aquired taste...

Enough for now, I'm off to enjoy the comfort of my Eventide for the weekend, Oven, Fridge, heater, double bunk, 17hp diesel, etc etc....

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
kw.nz

Post by kw.nz »

Hi John - -thanks for that reply and I hope you had a good weekend. Here in NZ its still winter (8 degrees at night, 16 during the day - -bit like a rather poor UK summer!).

I agree a good wood/epoxy boat is about as close to a perfect form of construction as one can get. I don't fancy steel as everything depends on the quality of the internal finish and most of the internals are hidden away. even inspecting one is very difficult (ie, impossible), let alone getting to any dodgy seams etc , grinding them out, repairing etc , etc..At least with wood a good tapping and prodding from the outside is a pretty reliable indicator of the state of things. And in my experience the bits of a wood/epoxy boat which are hidden away are as good as new if they ever do get uncovered (assuming the original coating was 100% and there has been no flexing).

I did not realise that the WW was clearly less of a sailer than the E, nor that the headroom was an issue with the design. I will separately get the CDs you offer.

Thanks for the advice on some of the differences between older and newer versions - -is there a fuller history of these changes somewhere? BTW, I do like your mod of a transom-hung rudder, too.

Does the new edition of Shoal Waters contain enough info to make it worth getting one (I do have an older edition)?

Best regrds, keith Williams
Eventide Owners Group

Hello Keith,

I have never thought of trying to document all the changes to the Eventide design, but it has given me food for thought....

I aught to write it all down and add it for all to see! I have been trying to do that with all the other information I have been privvy to, this is a subject I had not thought about.

I was also trying to get the evolution of the GH on paper, from the first single chine boats to the last, but that has proved a little more complex than I thought. At least with the Eventide I have been involved very intimately, for many many years, so have most at my fingertips!

Re the Charlie Stock book I have not seen the new one as yet, not read a review, so don't know. Charlie nearly joined us last weekend at Mersea!

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator
kw.nz

Post by kw.nz »

Oops - sorry John, I was trying to refer to what I understand is a new edition of Little Ships and Shoal Waters, which I read has been published and contains more info about the eventides...but now I cannot find the reference!

In fact, MG seems to have had his books published under several titles..well that's if Swatchways and Little Ships is differnet from Magic of the Swatchways, and Little Ships and Shoal waters...etc

So the inference that Charlie Stock is issuing a new version is unfortunately unfounded. I previously berthed alongside his boat at Dan Webb and Fesey in Maldon and quite coincidentally later on had a Fairey Falson (the hull his boat is based on). Those Fairey's certainly exemplify the benefits of "modern" wooden construction.

Tho I have just found a bit of rot in my boat here in New Zealand, so I don't want to be too blind in my support for wood..

best regards, keith
Eventide Owners Group

Ah Ha,
All revealed...

I think there might be a new edition of 'The Magician of the Swatchways' out soon, I have spoken to the author Dick Durham. We were saying there was a lot missing.... Could this be the book I wonder...

I will get back in touch with him, he was supposed to be organising a sail with me and a WW!

Re the rot, at least we can cut it out and make good, with the minimum of tools and it will be as good as new! Try that on a GRP boat...

Regards
John
Web site Coordinator
PV.NZ

documenting eventide development

Post by PV.NZ »

Hi Keith, John
documenting the development of the Eventide would be a great idea. A good resource for newcomers and existing owners.
another idea would be to document reviews from the various boating magazines over the years
cheers paul