spacious accommodation

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

steve

spacious accommodation

Post by steve »

I would like to build a boat to liveaboard permanently and travel around the world in, I need to know which boat is more spacious, Waterwitch or Noontide, Thank you.
Tusk

Re: spacious accommodation

Post by Tusk »

Maurice Griffiths designed the Golden Hind 31 specifically for live aboard long distance cruising and I suggest you look at one before you decide. I believe it is a much more substatial build than the ones you mention that were envisioned as coastal and offshore rather than ocean going. I have lived on board a Golden Hind 31 for 15 years with my wife and we completed a circumnavigation in that time. It has plenty of storage space and reasonable living accomodation for two, and standing headroom throughout.
Brian Cook
Yacht Tusk, GH31 No 224
steve

Post by steve »

Thank you, I will take a look at the GH after Christmas.
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

To answer the original question Steve, the Riptide is as near as damn it the same size as a GH 31 and has more accomodation than a WW. Also more head room than most WW's.

The Riptides are a bit thin on the ground though as only about ten afloat. Whereas the GH's were built professionally for many years and sail numbers of the 31ft version are over 250. There are a lot of the earlier 28ft 6 inch wooden, Hartwell built versions about too, that are worth looking at, cheaper, smaller but with the same pedigree!

Or of course you could build a Riptide! There was on in Steel on eBay selling in the north East a while back, built by a member, have a look at the builders and restorers pages....

May be worth trying to contact the builder, she is also our Steel advisor, see the advisors page.

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
steve

Post by steve »

Thank you Tusk and John for your replies.

I would prefer to build the boat which rules out the Golden Hind, so will probably build a Riptide when the time is right, I already have the CDs for the Riptide, Eventide and Waterwitch.
Last edited by steve on Mon June 18th, 2012, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibbo

Post by Ibbo »

Tusk wrote:Maurice Griffiths designed the Golden Hind 31 specifically for live aboard long distance cruising and I suggest you look at one before you decide. I believe it is a much more substatial build than the ones you mention that were envisioned as coastal and offshore rather than ocean going. I have lived on board a Golden Hind 31 for 15 years with my wife and we completed a circumnavigation in that time. It has plenty of storage space and reasonable living accomodation for two, and standing headroom throughout.
Brian Cook
Yacht Tusk, GH31 No 224

Hi Brian. My name is Lewis Ibbotson after speaking to my Mum Liz i have started to look for a couple who have had a boat 'Tusk'. After losing contact with them she has tried many times to find them with no luck so far. We are hoping that you might be them.please contact us on my email. Lewoz23@hotmail.com
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hope you tried a p.m. (personal message) to Brian via the forum, that should have put you in touch instantly!

Regards,
john
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator