ym senior cockpit sole

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

davidkirk

ym senior cockpit sole

Post by davidkirk »

hello everyone.

i am new here and aplogise for anything silly or blindingly obvious i may say.
ok having said that.
i have required a senior in need of a bit of work but one that can be saved. i have the cd with the plans and am now trying to make sense of what i have to do. the cockpit on my boat has been stripped to its bare bones and i need to make the seats/lockers and fit a new sole. looking at the plan i see it needs to be planks cleated together. due to me not being very clever. i cannot visualise this. has anyone got a picture or something that would make this clearer for me please. thanks for any help

david
Eventide Owners Group

cockpits

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello David,

have a look at the pics on the Gallery, Senior section. There you will see owners do their own thing and most fabricate from ply these days. Make templates in cardboard first!

so long as you put in good strong timbers across the cockpit floor area to set the cockpit sole down on you wil not go far wrong! Frame the lot up in hardwood, not too heavy, maybe 1 x 1.5 inches for most framing...

Work out the best seat height and the level of seat tops to be able to see where you are going too. Not too much of a problem normally with a Senior of course!

cheers,
John
Web site Coordinator
john burke

Post by john burke »

Hi David,
Just spotted your query. I might be a bit late here but to get some ideas about the framing for your cockpit sole, take a look at the yatch Virtue being rebuilt in Holland. I think the builder has used iroko for the framing and then used marine ply on top. If you type yatch Virtue into your search engine you should find the page. I hope this helps.
John