Water in crank case !

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

snark

Water in crank case !

Post by snark »

Oh dear,

I have done something very stupid.

I got my Wild Duck's two stroke Excelsior engine running fine, but then I stupidly allowed water to flood the crankcase :-(

With the plugs removed, cranking the engine causes horrible creamy water/oil mixture to come out of the plug holes. Of course it now refuses to start.

Any ideas how I can dry the engine out ?
Joe Mc Cool
Snark, LEYC, River Erne
Eventide Owners Group

First aid!

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Act quickly!

Drain the oil in the sump and spray WD40 down the plug holes! leave the plugs out and turn her over on the starter... Then refill with oil change filter and clean plugs. try to start ASAP. run her up to temperature and check the oil again.

If creamy white deposits change oil, and filter! again. you could buy a can of 'flushing oil' to do the first oil change.

It is imperitive the motor is not left with any water in it, running it will hopefully drive moisture out, but it will be worth removing the plugs again and using WD 40 before you leave her. i would try to run the motor frequently for the first month, just to make sure it does not seize!

How did it get in in the first place, was it through the exhaust or has she flooded? If the later check the gearbox too.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
chris s

Post by chris s »

John its a 2 stroke motor, they run a dry sump and are lubricated by oil mixed in with the petrol, you know just like one of your oil slick :lol: (oops sorry I mean seagull) outboard motors, the only oily type oil is possibly in the gearbox, but other than that I quite agree with the WD40 treatment.
snark

Post by snark »

chris s wrote:John its a 2 stroke motor, they run a dry sump and are lubricated by oil mixed in with the petrol, you know just like one of your oil slick :lol: (oops sorry I mean seagull) outboard motors, the only oily type oil is possibly in the gearbox, but other than that I quite agree with the WD40 treatment.
Yes. I managed to flood her by putting a garden hose up the water inlet and she flooded engine back through the exhaust. (Normally the exhaust sucks water in from the lake, round the engine and back out through the silencer.)

I am very frustrated with my own stupidity, as I had her running lovely.

So, several cans of WD40 later, watch this space :-)

Thanks
Joe Mc Cool
Snark, LEYC, River Erne
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Well I never, a two stroke!

Well some of what I said is true, forget about changing the oil and filter though!

Drain the crank if it has a drain. most 2 stroke inboards do have one or two even, but you have to search sometimes to find them. Knew a Stuart owner of 12 years who had no idea his Stuart had them!!

Next mix of fuel put twice the amount of oil in, if it was 50:1 mix up 25:1.

If you have a tank, try draining some out and mixing more oil with it, will be smokey for a bit, but better than having yo buy a new motor!

If anyone complains, tell them the majority of pollution from an engine is caused in making it, so you are saving an engine and the planet!

Cheers,

John
Web site Coordinator