Golden Hind Rudder pintle.

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

james

Golden Hind Rudder pintle.

Post by james »

Hello,
My school owns a plywood GH31 (GH116, Verulamia). A recent survey found that the bottom pintle on the rudder was loose and had a lot of free play.

On the school's GH, the pin is just sitting in the socket in the keel, and the pin is just slotted loosely into the fitting at the bottom of the rudder.

Looking at another plywood GH31, the pin is welded onto the fitting on the rudder, and slotted into the socket in the keel.

Does anyone have a set of plans so that we can see how the pintle should be set up. Alternatively, does anyone know how it should be.

A quick response would be appreciated.

James Gulliver

P.s. I appreciate that is may be difficult to see what I mean, and that Photos would be useful, but I do not have a digital camera.
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello James,

the man to speak to about this is Brian Neale. you will find his e-mail and phone number on the 'Advisors' page of the site. I know he has repaired rudder fittings recently on another boat!

He does not use the computer much, his wife does, so a phone call might be better!

Plans for this design are not available, but I would have thought the pin should be solidly attached/welded to the heel fitting on the rudder and the pin pivoting in a bearing of some sort on the skeg. That is how my Eventide rudder is fitted.....

Regards,
john
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator
james

Post by james »

Hello John,

I have sent Brian an email, but his phone number is not on the advisors page.

James
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Will have to rectify that, I put it on the StopPress page the other day, will copy and paste it over!

Hope he replies, if not have another look to get his phone number!

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator