24ft Eventide Sails

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Mike Brown

24ft Eventide Sails

Post by Mike Brown »

On the mainsails of my 24ft Eventide which I am restoring is the following

YM
E174

Can any kind member please explain what it all means. I am not very familiar with these at present.

Many thanks
Mike
chris s

Post by chris s »

It means that your Eventide was built from the 185th set of drawings sold which does make it a very early boat.
While I do know that some of the early records are missing there is a chance that John (Mr Eventide himself) may possibly be able to advise you where & when your boat was built and maybe even who by.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Hi Chris
I appreciated your help with that. The fella I got it off told me it was built in the early 1960's in Hongkong and sailed to New Zealand.
Does the lettering and numbers on the sail only signify the plan number or is there other info as well. I am keen to get as much info on this craft as possible. The hull is double diagional planked (teak). It is very solid and should come up nice with a little tender loving care.
Cheers
Mike
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hi Mike, back up to speed now and can get to computer for short periods!

your Sail number ... Y M denotes 'Yachting Monthly', the magazine that sponsored the design. Maurice Griffiths the designer was Editor of course!

The 'E' is Eventide, later boats like my 'new' Eventide had E26 to denote the length as well, but the number ran through both 24's and 26's.

The number the number issued to the owner when he sent Yachting Monthly proof that he had cast a keel! Certainly that was the case with early numbers like yours. In later years after about 1963, they issued a sail number with the set of plans.

Your number was issued before 1960, which would mean the boat was probably built with the 560lb keel. If you are doing work on her over the next winter consider drawing the keel bolts and beefing the keel up to twice that! See the Hints and tips page on the site. She will sail a lot better for it!

Sadly I have no record of sail number 174 on any of my old records! another one surfaces! there must be hundreds now that have come to light, that we did not know existed before!

I owned E273 for many years, an Eventide 24, plans bought in 1960, early 1960, because she still had the 560lb keel when I bought her. I doubled the keel weight and updated a lot more. She is still sailing here on the East coast of the UK.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Thanks John. I am learning so much about my craft from this site. Truly amazing and awesome stuff from some very knowledgeable people like yourself. Most appreciated.
I will look at the keels when I have it out of water in November. In the bilge area the bolt heads showing appear to be wasting so was going to replace then, so might as well beef up the weight at the same time.

Cheers
Mike