GH31 bad leak: quarter berth, from cockpit...somewhere

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

sniffyjenkins

GH31 bad leak: quarter berth, from cockpit...somewhere

Postby sniffyjenkins » Sat March 26th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Hello all

We have been hunting a persistent leak on Marschallin, GH31, 1981 GRP, which we launched last Saturday. Despite thinking we've found the source on many occasions, and 'fixing' it, it's no better. It seems to have been a long-standing problem in the boat from before we bought her, and I wondered whether it's something known to other GH31 owners.

Water is coming into the forward end of the quarter berth next to the chart table from the cockpit somewhere. We think it's to do with gaps around the teak cockpit seats, with the water running forward over the top of the fibreglass. No amount of sealing has worked there yet.

Has anyone encountered this before? Has anyone managed to fix it?

Any advice is very gratefully received.

Thanks!

Eventide Owners Group

Re: GH31 bad leak: quarter berth, from cockpit...somewhere

Postby Eventide Owners Group » Sat August 19th, 2017, 11:52 am

See you never had any response to this plea and I have to say I have not heard of any other GH owners suffering from a leak here.

As she is GRP you would not expect any leaks!

However I have heard of cockpit locker lid drains bunging up and wonder if there is a blocked drain somewhere.

Hope by now you may have traced the leak, if so can you let us know what the remedy was.

Regards,
john
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator

JFJ

Postby JFJ » Tue September 25th, 2018, 6:52 pm

This is an older post, and it may not be of much help but

I have a persistant leak on the deck to bulkhead joint. This eventually led to s little rotspot beside the chart table.

I think I have got to the bottom of it.

Water appears to be getting between the teak joints. The caulking has dozed. I tried to re-joint, but I could not get to the bottom of it without removing the teak trim round the companionway. When I probed the bottom of the joint I discovered mushy plywood substrate -which is likely the same as yours. I plan to lift the teak (I have 50 plugs ordered), and replace the plywood underneath. There is fiberglass under the ply. I think rain water gets under the teak, and has nowhere to go - so it wicks along the timber - rotting it out. I do not know how deep the ply is - but its not thick.

I spoke to Alastair Duffin (local wooden boatbuilder, and my local guru!) and he suggested that I don't re-screw the teak back down - rather glue down with epoxy. The plugs are put down for show, and will be filled behind them.
If I am careful, the original wood goes back down. I plan to scarf in a piece of iroko to replace the bit of soft bulkhead (I will do it right across the boat), and I will use iroko strips instead of ply to replace the removed ply. The bulkhead will be stronger than before, and the iroko strips will be laid so that the water can escape. Iroko wont rot - even with rainwater - but it will be painted in epoxy anyway.

I needed a wee job on Iris for the winter!

JFJ

Eventide Owners Group

Postby Eventide Owners Group » Tue September 25th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I agree with your local guru!

I have just stripped a couple of hatches off a friends Eventide, they had strips of teak and Sikaflex, but screwed down! i have stripped the lot off and tossed it, repaired the water damage to the timber underneath with epoxy and then epoxied a Treadmaster mat on top, no place for water to get in now!!

Water will penetrate the smallest crack and fresh water will cause galloping rot.

One has to be on the alert for any signs of water ingress with our boats, if we want them to survive!

Good luck with Iris over winter! You will need a warm dry shed!

John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator

JFJ

Postby JFJ » Thu September 27th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I should be so lucky as to have a barn!

No, a large tent (made from the side of an articulated lorry, cut into sections, a couple of joists, lashed to where the boom would be, and perhaps a small blow heater is all I can get access to. At least I can get power and water.

Regards
JFJ

Eventide Owners Group

Postby Eventide Owners Group » Thu September 27th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I built my Eventide under such a tent! It was 30 x 15 and all made from scrap floorboards into frames and the frames lashed together with string and spaced apart with battens, lasted 5 years. Several layers of tarp, as they rotted through!

Got so hot inside I had to cut vents in it!

Good luck drying everything out in readiness for epoxy!

John
Web site Coordinator

Return to “HELP ?”