Standing rigging

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

john burke

Standing rigging

Post by john burke »

I am in the process of planning the standing rigging on my 3 tonner and I'm a little puzzled about the position of the backstay. I have a drawing for a bermudian sloop sail plan by Alan Buchanan. Sail plan A drawing number 109. The drawing details a boom 13 foot 3 inches long. which extends right to the transom, but does not detail a back stay. If I put a backstay in the normal position would this not impede the swing of the boom? Any advice would be welcom John Burke
john burke

Re: Standing rigging

Post by john burke »

I think I may have answered my own question. After further studying of the drawing I now realise that there is no backstay as such. There are two shrouds amidships and a further shroud a little further aft. Sorry if I have puzzled the forum with a rather confusing question
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hello John, yes there is no back stay as such, just a pair of shrouds brought well aft.

some might be tempted to fit running shrouds but it is an added complication. Alan designed a bumkin for other similar designs and I have seen 3 Tonners with them fitted. Bermudan versions only. However never heard of one losing it's mast as a result ofthe normal rig!

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
john burke

Post by john burke »

sorry for the late reply John and thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. John
Billaboard

Post by Billaboard »

On our vaguely similar Wild Duck, we found a local genius who welded up a pushpit. I bought the scrap stainless tube and he came and looked, then welded up this 3D creation in his path. (His day job included creating one-off metalwork for the production lines of a well-known cake manufacturer).

The pushpit took the two backstays up and back from the stern, and took them clear of the boom. It also supports the guardrails and provides somewhere to stow the man overboard lifebuoy, support for the docking X when lowering the mast etc. etc.