Athaena - Foredeck repairs

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Athaena

Re: Athaena - Foredeck repairs

Post by Athaena »

Eventide Owners Group wrote:given the amount of work involved in removing all that I guess you have opted for the bast option. Bet it lasts for years and years and will be darned strong too.

At this rate you will be afloat in time for Easter!
I hope so! Certainly the treated area is rock hard now. I would have worried a little about flexibility, but it's just an inch or two at the extreme end by the bow, forward of that great big knee. I can't see there being much flexing going on there. I used the same method (but without the Cuprinol fungicide) on an Enterprise dinghy with a very soggy transom beam and 3 years later when I sold her that repair still looked as perfect as the day I did it. Getting everything good and warm and using a hypodermic needle to force the epoxy into the timber seems to get really good penetration. Only time will tell though.

Certainly hoping to be back afloat soon, got a couple of weeks off work lined up for a final big push. :D

Chris
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

Well despite the tea drinking, I have a bit more progress to report. This is just a temporary dry fit of the iroko which is deliberately left wide aft of the gap where the bowsprit sits. I couldn't get any 14" wide so this is made from two planks. (Not ideal, but it did make planing the deck curve on the underside much easier)

Tomorrow I will be trimming the aft part to size as a good flat solid base for the bowsprit to sit on and also routing out a rebate underneath to overlap the ply deck patch. Once this is done I'll know what dimensions my patch needs to be and I can get that cut.

Chris
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Now doesn't that look so much better!

At this rate you will be in the water before I am this year, more power to the elbow!

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

One of those good days today where things came together and I'm feeling quite proud of my efforts.

The stem fitting is now against solid wood and (amazingly) the new wood fits well and there are no voids behind, it's all good flat solid contact.

Very pleased :D

Chris
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

Another little update, apologies for the obstructed photo. Here's a dry test fit of everything back in place taken yesterday :)

All seems to fit pretty well (given the "quality" of my woodwork! :o), so it's time for some sanding and epoxy and glass and epoxy and sanding and more sanding and making good before relaying the teak on top.

Chris
Eventide Owners Group

Hello Chris, this all looks very well done. At the speed I'm going this year you will be afloat before me!

Any chance of sending all those pics and the text to me as jpgs and word text, so I can include the lot in the next newsletter?

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

Eventide Owners Group wrote:Any chance of sending all those pics and the text to me as jpgs and word text, so I can include the lot in the next newsletter?
Of course I can John, if you can hang on a little while I should get finished and I'll put something together for you :D

Chris
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Thanks Chris, look forward to it!

john
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

Almost there now :D (Well almost almost :rolleyes:)

The ply deck patch has been epoxied in place, the joints glass taped and then the deck epoxied and faired.

The iroko has then been stuck/sealed with sikaflex and screwed down.

After a clean and tidy up, it will soon be time to cut the teak :)

Chris
Eventide Owners Group

Looks a real 'proper job!'

Well done, still struggling here to get Fiddler's Green ready for the water, lots of silly delays this year, but as the weather has not been up to much so far, I do not think I've missed anything!

Your restoration is going to make a good page for the Newsletter!

Regards,
John
Web site Coordinator
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

A little more progress to report, it's surprising how much time trying to get it right takes!! :oops:

The new samson post is fitted and the bowsprit bolted back in place with A4 stainless bolts this time round rather than the old galvanised coach bolts that rotted. All bedded on Sikaflex to give a good seal and a bit of shock damping.

Rather than a dodgy offcut of decking, panel pinned over a void, I now have well fitting solid teak and iroko screwed and sikaflexed in place. (The teak wedge filling the slot where the stem head fitting comes through the bowsprit still needs trimming flush.)

A photo of the underside of the ply patch in the fore cabin showing the backing pieces epoxied and screwed.

A first coat of Primocon below the waterline too.

Really starting to feel like she's getting close to being back in the water now :mrgreen:

Chris
chris s

Post by chris s »

Thats looking really good. :P
Eventide Owners Group

The gleam in those topsides is something else too! well done!

good sailing,
John
Web site Coordinator
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

Missed a weekend playing with the nieces and nephew, but back to business this weekend...

The teak got cut and dry fitted...

Then everything got a coat of Saba Primer S1 and stuck down with Sealtack 751...

On a separate front, the fairing block for the transducer (Raymarine/Airmar B744V) has been Sika'd into place and the transducer fitted. In addition to the transducer there are two A4 stainless bolts running through the fairing block and the backing block on the inside of the hull, making for a very solid assembly.

Got the second coat of Primocon onto the hull too (and keel/bilge plates).

Need a beer now! :mrgreen:
chris s

Post by chris s »

Athaena wrote:
Need a beer now! :mrgreen:
Thats not usually a bad idea. :wink: