YM SENIOR-ROWING AND RIG

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

martinf

YM SENIOR-ROWING AND RIG

Post by martinf »

Reading Charles stock book he says he rowed shoal waters instead of having an engine.Shoal waters and the Senior are virtually the same,has anyone any thoughts?
Also junk rig for a senior?
Fiddler's Green

Rowing a Senior.

Post by Fiddler's Green »

As I hold the distinction of being first at two out of the three and second in the last, 16ft police boat sculling races, I can tell you it is very feasable, but darned hard work!

Charles Stock is a seasoned salt, and has all the time in the world, to wait for a decent slant in the wind. In today's race to get the sailing in then get home and back to work, not many of us are that fortunate.

There is a place for a very long sculling oar, 12 to 14 ft or so, and a crutch or notch on the stern, for those days when you do not want to spoil the peace you are enjoying, but I think a light 4 to 5 hp outboard would be a good thing to carry for the day you really needed to get somewhere!

It used to be a Seagull hanging on the back, but I cannot call 25 kilos of Seagull light. I hung a 4 hp Mercury on my daughter's boat, light as a feather. sadly manufacture of 2 strokes is now banned, so you have to source a secondhand one....

Hope my thoughts help somewhat...

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
Wooden Boat Fittings

Post by Wooden Boat Fittings »

As to rowing, I got hold of an old life-boat oar and cut it down to about 14' long to row my twenty-foot 3-Tonner Sanderling. I got a large rowlock and three mounting-plates for it, putting one plate on each side of the cockpit so I could row (facing forward) with the oar on whichever side was appropriate, and put the last mounting-plate on the transom, for sculling over the stern.

I regret that I can't comment on how well it worked as I never used it in earnest, but I think in still water I could probably have got along at perhaps two knots rowing (although less sculling. Both methods would have been useful as she was berthed in a narrow tidal creek, without room to row, that led off the main channel where there was plenty of room.)

For interest's sake, you can see all this in the photo. Sanderling is the blue-decked vessel right at the centre of the picture.

In the event, I did what John suggests and used an outboard, in my case an old 6HP Evinrude. It pushed her along quite satisfactorily, at maybe 4-5 knots.

Mike
Billaboard

Post by Billaboard »

Just for the record, we built our Wild Duck with rowlocks and carry a pair of long oars (bought from a boat jumble and looking new) in the cabin. I think they have been used twice in over twenty years.
My recollections are that the oars bent alarmingly when attempting to row, and that the windage made it impossible to turn the boat through the wind.

I wouldn't rely on them, but I still keep them on board just in case.
Len

Post by Len »

Hi Eventiders,
Yes, I am still there 'though dormant for a long time.
When I got the drawings of the 3-tonner, I was amused/surprised to see rowlocks on the coamings. I thought it would be hard work (and impossible in any sort of a wind) to row such a heavy boat. However, I am sure enough people have done it.
For comfort and quiet recent developments of electric motors and batteries are opening up an alternative. Both outboard and inboard are now available with enough power and range to get into and out of ports. With lithium batteries weight is not a problem. Also many disadvantages of an inboard internal combustion engine are eliminated. The only problem the lithium battery is (to say the least) expensive.
If anyone is interested look up www.torqeedo.com for example.

Greetings,Len
Leonard_Woods
Wagtail

Re: YM SENIOR-ROWING AND RIG

Post by Wagtail »

Dear Martin f

I know this thread is old now but I've just come across it.

A couple of things: firstly, yes a Senior looks something like Charles Stocks' modified Fairey Falcon but his boat is more capable to windward than most Seniors (irrespective of his incredible skill) because he has a centre-plate, while most seniors have shallow bilge keels. This means that he is more likely to be able to do without an engine. He will be able to make way in situations where it's not so easy for a Senior.

Secondly, however, it is possible to row a Senior. The previous owner who rebuilt my Senior provided her with 9 foot oars and while you wouldn't want to row her in a blow or against a fast tide, I have used them to get on to my mooring at Pin Mill when I overran the mooring under sail. I havn't used my engine at all yet, partly because I can generally not get them to work when I want them to go and partly because I prefer to sail. For this reason I am very glad to have a good pair of oars which can at least push the boat along at a knot or two when necessary.

In fact I would be interested to know whether there are other Senior owners who use sail only. I am still experimenting and havn't junked the engine yet because I do think the Senior is poor to windward because she makes so much leeway and lacks manoeuverability in tight situations (anchoring, picking up moorings in crowded moorings etc).

Best

Wagtail