Re sealing centre board case

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

john burke

Re sealing centre board case

Post by john burke »

I have recently disassembled the centre board case on my three tonner It was built some time ago and for peace of mind I thougt it would be prudent to redo the seals. It was a bigger job than I thought as it is a real solid structure. My question to the forum is, should I reseal it with a polyurethane glue such as Sika flex or should I use epoxy glue such as West system glue? The inside of the centreboard panel was also sheathed with glass fibre on the corners which I will endeavour to redo. Also the centreboard itself is a very heavy galvanised steel plate. It is, as yet still unpainted. What paint should I use to prime it? Any advice welcome John
Wooden Boat Fittings

Post by Wooden Boat Fittings »

John, I don't know that I'm an expert on this, but I'd be inclined to use a bedding compound tor reseal the case, not glue. (I'm assuming of course that the case components are screwed together.) Then next time (?) you have to do the job, dismantling it should be a good deal easier.

As for painting the c/b, if you intend painting it at all why not use antifouling?

Mike
john burke

resealing centreboard

Post by john burke »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your thoughts on this. It seems to make sense to reseal it with something that has gap filling properties and also has some flexibility. Yes it is all bolted and screwed together as well. Many thanks again.
John