Attaching a Skeg to a YM Senior

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Paul DM

Attaching a Skeg to a YM Senior

Post by Paul DM »

Hi,
I'm looking to attach a skeg to my senior. I've got a spare rudder plate of aluminium that I can use and cut to shape. I'm looking to find out what shape and size it should be; where it should be placed and what would be the best way of attaching it to the keel. Finally, should I use my spare aluminium rudder plate or use some marine ply i.e. the advantages and disadvatages.
All information and advice would be welcome.
Thanks.
Regards,
Paul
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello Paul, never worked on a Senior that way, but I have added a skeg to a Lysander with good results, years ago.

The boat tended to tilt back on it's keels if you put too much weight aft, so the owner asked me to help.

We made up a galvanised Steel skeg, through bolted under the stern, just in front of the rudder. It stopped the problem and had the added advantage of reducing his weather helm as well!

It has to be strong, and I wonder if Ali will be strong enough... I am presuming you have a bilge keel version as well. Re the rudder, a shaped rudder, like two plane wings back to back works best for any rudder... Ply coated with epoxy works well! See the owners tips page.

As you have an ali blade I wonder again if this is a blige keeler or a centre board version. you could not easily fit a skeg of any depth on a centreboarder of course....

Hope this helps,
John
Web site Coordinator