Main Halyard Out

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

mikecad

Main Halyard Out

Post by mikecad »

Hi All, Cleaning Marionette up and getting her ready for sale we have dropped mainsail halyard out, is there a simple or easy way to get it threaded back in and running again, Mike[/b]
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

I know you have sold her now Mike, but I wondered how you got the halyard back.

I have sorted out internal wires and halyards on many boats, (I do not have internal halyards on fFiddler's Greenf, but there is wiring in the Ali spar.

I found the best way of getting wires and halyards up was to use sewer rods! Works only when the mast is down of course, but I tape a foot of stiff wire to the end of the rod, poke it up from the base, (the base can normally be removed and refitted), till it is close to the hole where the wire or halyard enters, then fish for the wire loop with a hooked wire.

Once hooked you can attach the wire or rope, I use tape, and pull it gently through. It helps if it is fed in at the same time by a second pair of hands....

Just fitted all the internal wiring and extra halyards to my daughter's boat.

At the end of the season I will use long lengths of thin cord, attached to the halyards, and pull the halyards out, leaving the messenger line for the winter. the halyards then go through the washing machine. Be sure to note which one goes where, preferably in a little book that lives on board, so you always know. I have lengths of sheets, halyards etc in mine!

hope this helps anyone else doing this tricky job.

John
Web site Coordinator