Heart-Stopping Soot in Exhaust Moment

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

MB63

Heart-Stopping Soot in Exhaust Moment

Post by MB63 »

On the way into Poole Harbour last week, a little burst of power was required from our Golden Hind 26's Bukh diesel when suddenly the exiting coolant water turned into a black stream.

At first I thought it was engine oil disappearing, but closer inspection suggested soot. Throttling back got rid of it.

Is this just something that these old engines do, or is it a sign of some terrible underlying problem?
Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep »

I had exactly the same experience on Black Sheep (GH26 with Bukh 10). My powers of observation weren't enough to distinguish between soot and oil - I just throttled back and started to worry about all the nasty things it could be.

But a friend with more experience than I suggested that it's quite common on older engines and nothing to worry about.
Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep »

A further think and chat with those with more experience, suggests that the soot indicates incomplete combustion of the fuel. This could be caused by dirty/blocked air filters.

Must get round to checking mine...
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Yes sounds as if the Air filters need cleaning and the motor needs a good run. You might have to clean out the exhaust if it is very bad, but a wet exhaust should almost self clean...

If it persists, get the injector checked.

John
Web site Coordinator