Engine Bed for Beta 20 (722)

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Paul_Usher

Engine Bed for Beta 20 (722)

Post by Paul_Usher »

Just about to change engine from Stuart Turner to Beta 20 (722) and was wondering what is the preferred engine bed construction? I cant find any pictures on the site hence asking.

The Stuart Turner (now for Sale and still working) was sitting on metal bars supported by wooden blocks, coach bolted to floors. The Beta is twice the power so should I use wooden engine bearers with metal plates on top. The 4 engine mounts (rubber shocks) are 63mm wide, so how wide should wooden bearers be and metal on top. Or should I just fabricate a cage from angle iron etc…

Also just dropping the keel. Most bolts look new ( even after 35 years) apart from to hog/keel area so changing the lot. Can I use the mild steel threaded rod from Screw fix, as long as they are well protect in Sikoflex?

Any suggestion gratefully received.

Best Regards

Paul Usher (FRAM)
helenrose

Engine beds

Post by helenrose »

Hi paul,
i re engined my Eventide 24 last year and needed to make new beds,i used 80x8 mm flat bar welded to suit,then bolted to the existing bearers,its been fine,as for keelbolts go to the links at the top of this page,click on advice and stuff,get up owners tips,there is a section on keel bolts,
Hope this helps.
Chris.
AdrianCox

Post by AdrianCox »

Hi All

It may helpful for others, we used these AV mounts on our Robin Reliant engine conversion back in the 80's, also being an engineer, I can recommend these. (No I'm not on commision:))

http://www.polymax.co.uk/Catalogue%20Pr ... 0Range.htm

Adrian