Installing a bulkhead on a 3 tonner

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

john burke

Installing a bulkhead on a 3 tonner

Post by john burke »

I am in the process of fitting a forward bulkhead on my three tonner and have just spent most of a full day making a template to fit around the clinker work on the hull. A nightmare for a novice such as myself but I managed to get a good fit in the end. What I need to know is how it is fixed in place as none of the books seem to cover this. I have located it onto a deck beam at the top but I'm not sure if I should fix it with screws through the hull down the sides. Also should I use 12mm or 18mm ply? Any advice welcomed.
Fiddler's Green

new bulkhead.

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hi john,

If the bulkhead is not structural, then I suspect the easiest way to fasten it would be to several shaped timber blocks forward of it on each side and the blocks fastened through the planking. Two screws per block would siuffice. try to use Silicone Bronze screws, they will not corrode like brass.

Then you can screw the ply to the blocks.

As for thickness, 12 mm should be more than adequate unless you are trying to prevent icebergs coming through!

In which case you will need far stronger blocks more like additional frames and they would have to be sealed all the way round..... bit over kill....

I have a similar 12mm ply bulkhead forward, just forward of my samson post. It has two doors in it, one giving access to the chain locker, the other lifejacket storeage. I have a pair of louvred doors on them, (B&Q!) to allow air circulation and a vent on deck above the lifejackets to keep them dry....

Hope this helps,

John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
john burke

Post by john burke »

Hi John,
Thank you for the advice. You have given me the confidence to continue apace. I have also spotted those B&Q doors and thougt they could be put to good use in the cabin. I will try to get a few photos to the web site soon. Once again many thanks.
John