restorable eventide

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

aquagee

restorable eventide

Post by aquagee »

I have an Eventide on the Medway which I rushed in to buying last summer. I would love to restore her but now wonder wether it would be a worthwhile endeavour; in short I need advice. She certainly needs replanking with marine ply midships after I did a little eploratory digging but how can I ascertain how far, if at all the frames may be rotten and at what point does this mean that you are no longer restoring but building from scratch. Also there is a crack along the keel and also in the keel plank. Her topsides are pretty faultless as she has been covered. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

THANKS
helenrose

restoring

Post by helenrose »

Hi and welcome to the forum,things are pretty slow on here but someone who knows the answer will reply eventualy,my own Eventide had a few rotton spots that i discovered last winter,i am no carpenter but i had a go and repaired all the rot,i think you need to take a carpenter or someone who knows about wooden boats down to have a look and get his opinion,once repaired they make great boats,good luck.
Chris.
Fiddler's Green

Restorations...

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hello there,

sorry to be slow answering, but to be honest if anyone wants a quick reply, the best place is the website Advisors page. Here you get directly onto someone who has offered to help.

As I am the Eventide advisor I can tell you I am available on the phone as well if you need me, 01621 778859.

The hulls on old ply boats can be readily repaired if the dreaded rot has not gotten into the frames. Even then sometimes it is easy enough to cut out and relaminate a section of frame.

Today, using epoxy glues and fillers we can make a far better job of a repair than the builders were often able to make!

Trick with the ply is to cut out to about 3 to 6 inches beyond the rot, and then to a space halfway between the next frame. DO NOT TRY AND JOIN PLY ON A FRAME.!! It will look terrible, be weak and in no time you will have rot in the joint!

Hope you will get in touch.
Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'