YM Senior

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

jeff Andrews

YM Senior

Post by jeff Andrews »

I have inherited a YM Senior which has been stored in an open barn for 15 years.
My retirement project is to restore and sail it on the Medway, as dinghy sailing is becoming hard work for a whole day.
I am building a covered leanto in my garden to be able to work under cover.
I am lifting boat next month to transport home. During lift I want to drop keel for rework.
Boat has a fixed cast iron ? keel with 4 rods with nuts into cabin sole.
3 of the nuts have been removed but the 4th just rotates, I have CD of Senior drawings but cannot work out how the keel rods are secured into keel, does anyone know.
Also when I drop boat will it be ok to sit on the two side bilge keels as I intend to have 2 foot off ground at bilge keels for working underneath.

jeff
Fiddler's Green

Keel bolts...

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hi Jeff,

The bolts were right through the iron keels on most boats, the heads were recessed in and coverd with a wooden plug.. You will have to dig them out with an old screwdriver to expose the heads.

The 4th bolt may be turning, or it could well be that the bolt has wasted and broken, so do not go crawling under it without a prop under the iron, a couple of cwt of that will give you a nasty headache!

When refitting, use mild stel galvanised bolts, never stainless, see the Owners tips page of the site for more on keels.

John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'