Should I scrape off the antifouling?

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Eventide Owners Group

Should I scrape off the antifouling?

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hi John,

Got a question. The Lady Anne had new antifoul paint and the rest of the hull striipped down and repainted in about Nov 2004. She has not been back in the
water since and the anti fouling seems to be in good order with no cracking or peeling.

I am going to strip the rest of the hull to repaint in blue. Should I also strip the antifoul, give it a new over coat or leave it alone. What do you think.

Thanks,

Michael
Web site Coordinator
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hi Michael.
Do we know what the Antifouling is? You say it is good order, (on the phone), no cracks or flakes. If it is in good order, and a copper based paint, then a rub over with a rag with suitable thinners for it should enable a coat of similar paint over the top. Otherwise you might have to use a primer coat first.

Do not strip it if sound. unless very thick and uneven. Messy job.
you cannot safely use a blowlamp, toxic fumes... Using chemical stripper is very messy. A slurry blaster is best, but even then the paint is dangerous and has to be contained.

Remeber we get good prices on Marclear, and it is a soft copper based paint, compatable with most, or you can use the Marclear insulating primer coat if in doubt.
John
Web site Coordinator