Mouette uncovered!

THIS WAY TO MAKE AND READ COMMENTS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL DESIGNS

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Eventide Owners Group

Mouette uncovered!

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

We have been sent a set of Mouette drawings !

These were ones I thought we might never see again, but not only do we have the drawings scanned to CD we also have a few extra bits of info to add to the pageas as well.

Our thanks to Pieter in South Africa for this!

john
Web site Coordinator
chris s

Re: Mouette uncovered!

Post by chris s »

Thats Brilliant, Thank you Pieter! :D
peterlfenton

Post by peterlfenton »

There are pictures of Mouette.

John T. Rowland wrote a memoir called Wind and Salt Spray, published by W.W. Norton & Co, New York, 1965. There is a chapter about Mouette and several photographs of her including one showing her hull in frame. The lines plans and sail plan drawings are also shown.

Years ago I visited John at his home in Newcastle, Maine and he gave me a set of plans. They are complete enough for construction although there are no details about the size of frames, fastenings,etc. The plans are dated 1946. I'm presently trying to make a 1"=1'-0" scale model to see how she looks.

According to Rowland's description, Mouette balanced easily on all points of sail and he had her nicely under control with the jib topsail and reefed mizzen in 50 knot gusts. He also says she sailed to windward of where she looked going close hauled which he attributed to lee bow pressure from the way she sailed on her chines. For the same reason she did not pound going to windward in a chop.

There are also pictures of two Mouette modifications. The first was Cock Robin which had the run extended about 18". The second was Stormy Petrel, a smaller sloop-rigged version of the same hull.

Under power Mouette made 6 knots without making a wave in calm conditions.

Have fun,

Pete
Fiddler's Green

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hello Peter, we would love to see these pictures! Interesting to hear one was instantly modified! Is there any chance you have a copy of the book and can scan them as jpg files? If you can please send direct to enquiries@eventides.org.uk

The design was sort of popular for a very brief period, with the really impecunious boat owners! Then along came many designs with far more headroom, and thus few sold after that...

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
chris s

Post by chris s »

It would be really nice to see some photos. :)