Going to Windward

THIS WAY TO MAKE AND READ COMMENTS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL DESIGNS

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Rikki

Going to Windward

Post by Rikki »

I know a gentleman never does ( :lol: ) but I am toying in my mind the advantages of a fin keel sloop rig over a bilge keel ketch. Of course that's 2 variation: fin v's bilge keel, and sloop v's ketch. Is the difference a few degrees off the wind, or more like 10? :?:
Fiddler's Green

Re: Going to Windward

Post by Fiddler's Green »

sorry not to have seen the post earlier, hope you are still out there, and not tacking off a lee shore!

If perfomance is what you were after the fin keel wins every time. However most of us have these boats for other reasons, drying out in shallow places, creek crawling and trailing. However a modern Eventide with the deeper main keel and bilge plates will give many modern boats a run for their money, but never match a fin keeler.

years ago I sailed in company with a friend on a 32 ft 6 ft draft boat. My Eventide 24 at the time drw less than a metre. we normally arrived first ti book the berths, because we could take the short cuts! Swings and roundabouts, as they say!

My present Eventide (27), has 1 metre draft and sails quite well, for a bilge keeler.

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'