Lone Gull (1)

THIS WAY TO MAKE AND READ COMMENTS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL DESIGNS

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

ianc1200

Lone Gull (1)

Post by ianc1200 »

I'm about half way through reading the "Lone Gull Files" book and was taken by the suggestion that MG put a lot of his boat "Storm" into the hull design of Lone Gull. Looking at the drawings in the book I can see it to some extent. I think (but don't know) Storm had a fixed keel with no CB - is this true? - but otherwise there are similarities.

Also on this subject, what are the similarities or differences between LG and LG 2? The cabin on LG were taken out full width in the later MG style, but are they related in any way apart from the name.

IanC
Eventide Owners Group

Lone Gull

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

I too have read the 'Lone Gull files' with interest.

I think there is a little poetic license in there. Certainly there are some general hull shape resemblences, but only general.. Lone Gull I originally had a centreboard. The fact that a later owner changed that, does not mean it was a bad design flaw, but perhaps that the the owner bought the wrong boat and had to change it!

I do not think MG ever had the idea she was to be an ocean cruiser, no a shoal draft creek and coastal cruiser...

The Lone Gull IIs however were designed without, maybe as the bilge keel designs had improved so much there was little need for the centreboard and the associated problems...

I suppose times move on and needs change, thus the cabin width on the later boat. Seems to work!

Cheers,
John
Web site Coordinator
Wooden Boat Fittings

Re: Lone Gull (1)

Post by Wooden Boat Fittings »

... much later, and for what it's worth, I understand that MG thought that his 'Lone Gull II' design was his best (even including 'Kylix').

Mike