Removal of Treadmaster

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

jimsumberg

Removal of Treadmaster

Post by jimsumberg »

Until this week the decks and cabin top of GH26 Clementine were covered with what looked like the original Treadmaster. It had been (poorly) painted a couple of times, and looked pretty nasty. I concluded there was no way of rejuvenating it. There has been a lot written about how difficult it is to remove Treadmaster, so I approached the task with some trepidation. In the event it was not such a difficult job. This is how I went about it.

Tools: Multi-tool with scraper blade; heat gun; electric drill with resin impregnated nylon brush (see attached photo - I bought it at Anvil Tools).

Score strips in the Treadmaster so they are about the width of the scraper blade. Warm 6-8 inches of a strip with the heat gun to soften the adhesive. Use the multi-tool to lift the Treadmaster, being careful not to gouge the deck. When you have completed a large-enough section, use the drill and brush to remove the remaining adhesive.

The last step in particular creates a lot of dirt, but the work goes pretty quickly and the result is good.

Jim
Attachments
2024-02-17 13.06.56.jpg
2024-02-17 13.06.56.jpg (86.12 KiB) Viewed 507 times