New name?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

steve

New name?

Post by steve »

Since this group covers so many different boat designs, maybe it would attract more members if the groups name was changed as currently a new owner of an old boat might not know that their boat, whilst not being an Eventide is nevertheless covered by this club.
I would suggest the Maurice Griffiths owners club, except that you also have other designers covered, maybe the wooden boat club but some boats are steel, fibreglass or even concrete, names including self-build or home-built exclude those MG designs built professionally nor does it encompass all that this club does, choosing a new name might be difficult, what do you think?
chris s

Re: New name?

Post by chris s »

steve wrote:Since this group covers so many different boat designs, maybe it would attract more members if the groups name was changed as currently a new owner of an old boat might not know that their boat, whilst not being an Eventide is nevertheless covered by this club.
I would suggest the Maurice Griffiths owners club, except that you also have other designers covered, maybe the wooden boat club but some boats are steel, fibreglass or even concrete, names including self-build or home-built exclude those MG designs built professionally nor does it encompass all that this club does, choosing a new name might be difficult, what do you think?

Very difficult? Almost impossible I would think :?
Athaena

Post by Athaena »

I can see where you're coming from Steve and I quite like the idea of a "Maurice Griffiths Owners Club" but I expect there are all sorts of issues using MG's name.

If you Google "Maurice Griffiths owners" this site is the first result returned. Given that and how well established things are here I'm doubtful there is much to gain from changing our name.

Welcome though :D

Chris
Airship17

Post by Airship17 »

It would be possible, I believe, to add some pages to the site that would come up in a search for one of the other designs (a page called "YM Senior Owner's Group" for example) but just contained a link straight through to the group's home page - maybe right to the section where the home page explains about the different designs being included.

Rob
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Now that is not a bad suggestion!

We have always had the problem with the name. It is historical.

Everything started with Eventide owners, but it soon became aparent that Waterwitch owners wanted to belong, and it snowballed out of control from there.

We have never come up with a better name, most suggestions would have either been too inclusive 'Wooden boat owners' or too restrictive, 'Maurice Grifiths owners', so we have stuck with Eventide.

But opening or adding different titles or tags to pages to allow searches to find them is a good one.. I will pass this to the webmaster as he is more experience in ''metatagging'.!

However as has already been suggested, if you search for any of our designs on Google, doubtless you will be directed straight here. Even more so now that the old defunt association has folded!

John
Website Coordinator
Web site Coordinator