Tax

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Billaboard

Tax

Post by Billaboard »

Just a long shot, but has anyone here any expertise on dealing with demands for council tax on moorings? I have just been "served" with a "Request for information" full of strange questions, few of which would seem to relate to my Wild Duck.

The council in question is in North Wales, and their website is, as expected, hopeless.
chris s

Post by chris s »

I wonder if they are they trying to class it as a sort of holiday cottage or a second dwelling and want to charge you rates or are what used to be rates/poll tax etc now called council tax? :shock: :?

Here in Holland we have to pay a tourist tax on boat moorings, :( unless you live in the same council area (gemeente) as your mooring when you can apply (I think its to) to your local town hall (gemeente huis) & have it refunded, as you obviously cant be a tourist in the town/area where you actually live :roll:
Last edited by chris s on Wed September 17th, 2008, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianCox

Post by AdrianCox »

Hi Billaboard

I know this a while ago now, and may well be resolved but being new to the forum, I thought I'd add some more information.

My partner used work within a CT section, and I've asked her this question and she will do some digging around for you.
A couple of questions which may help from her side are:- Is your mooring belonging to a sailing club or a local authority?
Is it privately owned by you?

But as a soon as i get any further informtion I'll post it here.

Kind regards
Adrian
Billaboard

Post by Billaboard »

Hi Adrian,
I've just seen your reply.

The dock is in North Wales and privately owned. I pay rent for the summer in the dock and rent at a lower rate for the winter when the Wild Duck is craned out.
As I understand it, the establishment used to be listed as an educational resource, but the local council have contested this. The dock owner will be charged, but has appealed as have several of the owners of larger boats. Because of illness this year, I've not been there much, and haven't even had the boat out once. The weather hasn't helped either.
All the boat owners have been issued with a document which has to be filled in on pain of fine and submitted to the council. It is full of completely irrelevant questions that would apply to a holiday home or perhaps caravan, so I filled in irrelevant answers as being the best I could do.

It looks as though we are all about to fall into the dead hands of bureaucrats or even lawyers. :-)

Basically it seems that we are all in the dark. The crane comes on October 4th, so no doubt we will all meet and discuss this then, so any suggestions would be invaluable.

Bill
AdrianCox

Post by AdrianCox »

Hi Bill
My partner still has to contact her colleague in the council tax department in Great Yarmouth. Bu as as I hear something I'll pass on what ever information comes my way.

Good luck with it all.....the crane out mainly:)

Kind regards
Adrian
MartynG

Post by MartynG »

Hi

A I understand the situation, council tax is due on a caravan or boat, if it is used as a main residence. If it is unoccupied, there is an annual exemption for up to six months. On the other hand, a holiday caravan or boat (I guess this covers us weekend sailors!) is exempt if it is "on property" where council tax is paid.

I would imagine that most boat yards/marinas will be paying council tax in some form, so the holiday home exemption would apply - no doubt this is just one element that goes to make up our mooring fees.

In this instance, it is my guess that if the council fails to collect tax from the owner of the yard, it will persue the individual boat owners - hence the request for information.

Hope this helps, if only a little.
Martyn
AdrianCox

Post by AdrianCox »

Hi Martyn

Further to that Marinas would be paying business rates rather than residential rates.
I have forwarded Bill the information direct from my partner who works at a council (Not the CT section :) ) located by the coast.

Hopefully we've covered this enough for him, but not too sure if Wales works any different than other UK councils.

Adrian
Billaboard

Post by Billaboard »

Thanks to Martyn and Adrian for the real help in clearing my mind about what questions to ask or avoid.

I think there is probably confusion amongst the authorities and the rest of us caused by the status of the mooring site. It consists of the main building, which is operated as a holiday business, and a small dock surrounded by workshops and cottages in various states of (dis)repair. We are in the dock rather than the outer moorings.

I wonder if the changes that have been legally enforced on the dock by the health and safety police have made it look more like a marina and attracted the council tax people. The main health and safety initiative - adding guard ropes all around the dock - has made it dangerous as we now have to climb outside the guards to handle the mooring ropes, but I suppose it looks prettier.

I'll report back if and when anything becomes clearer. Thanks again.

Bill